How To Make A Ruched Top – Free!

Hi everyone, Here are the instructions for making a ruched, (pronounced rooshed), tank top. Ruching is simple once you’ve done it a few times. This fun style has been featured in our Picture Day, and Holiday Shimmer Outfits. Here are the steps involved in ruching the Spaghetti Strap Tank Top.

Start by getting the Spaghetti Strap Tank Top Pattern Guidebook. It’s free for Newsletter Subscribers and we’ve added the link for you here.

I’ve included the step-by-step example pictures below as well as pictures of the completed project:

Pull thread to gather to fit the length of the side “back” piece.

The completed top from the Holiday Shimmer Outfit

Summary of Instructions: 1. For the ruched front, you will need to add 3 inches to the length of the “front” pattern piece. 2. Follow the instructions in the guidebook for hemming the top edges of the front and back pieces. Sew gathering stitches along both sides of the front piece. 3. Pull thread to gather to fit the length of the side “back” piece. Follow the instructions in the Strappy Tank Top guidebook to finish the top.

14 Responses to “How To Make A Ruched Top – Free!”

1. Caitlin says:

My favorite occasion to dress up for is my band Christmas concert. I play the trumpet.

2. Rachyrache says:

This is SUPER cool! Thanks for sharing it! :)

3. Miranda says:

:D Just yesterday I was looking for the instructions that I remembered seeing for this on your blog back in February when I bought a pair of boots(REALLY cute, by the way! ;) ) so that I could make a special outfit for my friend! I couldn’t find the pattern, so I had to try to remember what I read(NOT good idea..). But, the fabric I used WASN’T stretchy, and it didn’t fit. The shoulder straps weren’t long enough to fit around my doll’s(I haven’t GIVEN my friend the outfit; I tried it on my dolls) arm, and the whole tank top wasn’t wide enough. Would these issues be solved if I simply added 1/2 inch to an inch to the width of the tank top and the length of the straps?

It would be great if you could reply by tomorrow! ;)

~Miranda

4. Meg says:

What fabric did you use for the ruched top? I want to try this!

5. horseygal says:

That’s AMAZING!!!

6. Rachel says:

I am so excited to find these instructions! It is a super cute tank. What type of fabric did you use for this? Thank you!

7. dollsteachgirls says:

Wow. what a great pattern adjustment!!!

Looks hard and fancy…but actually is simple.

My guess is that a very light fabric is the best…and with a bit of stretchiness.

8. anna says:

thx a ton this is really helpful